Crimean War Monument, current whereabouts unknown.
The Victorian Society named Sheffield’s Crimean War Monument as one of the Top Ten Most Endangered Buildings in the UK for 2014.
It was erected in 1862 at Moorhead, where it stood until 1957 when it was removed to the Botanical Gardens, as part of road changes. The design was by George Goldie of Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie and originally had a base of Darley Dale Stone and a column of Aberdeen granite. The figure at the top was Victory holding a sheathed sword in one hand and a laurel wreath in the other. There were Russian cannons at the base. It was re-erected in the Botanical Gardens without the column.
According to the Victorian Society, “In 2004, the Botanical Gardens were restored to their 1836 layout and the remainder of the monument was removed to storage from which it has not yet emerged 10 years later. Conditions attached to the listed building consent for the removal of the memorial from the Botanical Gardens are believed to have required the restoration works to be completed, and a precise location for the memorial secured, within 2 years of the Listed Building Consent approval. Failing to find a new home for the memorial means that Sheffield Council is in breach of its own Listed Building Consent…
“Monuments to Britain’s fallen in the Crimean war are relatively unusual, so it’s a shame that Sheffield Council have hidden Sheffield’s Crimean war monument away for years.”
|Moorhead, looking towards Furnival Street, 1959||Botanical Gardens|
Images used with permission from Sheffield Local Studies Library www.picturesheffield.com